Rwanda on Monday reported 17 new Coronavirus cases, bringing the total number of patients to 36.
The new cases include nine travelers from UAE, three from Kenya, two from USA, one from Qatar, one from India and one contact of a previously confirmed positive case, the ministry of health said in a statement.
“All travellers entered isolation between 17-20 March in designated locations and were tested. The tracing of all contacts has been conducted for further management,” it reads.
According to the ministry, the country will rigorously enforce the recently announced restrictive measures whereby all unnecessary movements and visits outside homes are banned nationwide for two-weeks.
Non-essential businesses were closed and travel between cities and districts were suspended.
“Pedestrians and motorists must stay at home or risk being arrested or fined. The message was clear," Rwanda National Police Spokesperson Jean Bosco Kabera told Rwanda Today.
Borders were closed except for goods and cargo, returning citizens and legal residents, who are subjected to mandatory 14-day quarantine.