Bannyahe slum dwellers now move to court

Monday August 13 2018

Bannyahe

Bannyahe slum residents have rejected a proposal by Kigali City to relocate them. PHOTO | CYRIL NDEGEYA 

By JOHNSON KANAMUGIRE
More by this Author

Bannyahe slum residents have rejected proposals by Kigali City and local government to relocate them, saying the offered compensation is unfair.

They have stated that the dispute will only be resolved by courts. Last month, over 900 homeowners in four villages of Kangondo and Kibiraro located in Nyarutarama Cell filed a case to Gasabo Intermediate Court after talks with the city authorities collapsed.

Kigali City offered to find the families alternative accommodation with equal value to clear way for an investor.

Their legal representative Innocent Ndihokubwayo told Rwanda Today they decided to proceed to court after they received “unfavourable” response from Minister of Local Government Francis Kaboneka, to whom they had written demanding to halt the relocation exercise under the current terms.

“We are waiting to be communicated the dates to hear the case in which we seek the court to compel city authorities to give fair compensation in form mutually agreed by Gasabo District and my clients,” he said.

The filing of the case coincided with the judicial recess period expected to last until end of August.

Kigali City declined to offer compensation in monetary form on grounds that it could fuel creation of more slums.

There have been several rounds of talks between the families with local and senior government officials to convince them to accept the expropriation terms offered.

Gasabo district continued carrying out the valuation of properties in the area and recently kicked off construction works at decanting site.

Advertisement